Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Complete Your Blog Look-Add a Favicon

Around the blogosphere all the cool kids seem to be investing a lot of time (and maybe some money) into changing the look of their blogs. Whether they're searching for a new template or background, adding new graphics or changing fonts, people are looking for the thing that makes their blog memorable. If you've spent all that time trying to "individualize" your blog why not go one step further and add a Favicon?

What is a Favicon? A Favicon is that small picture that is to the right in the address bar. If you're on Blogger it's that red B up in the top of the address bar, if you're on Google it's the blue G, you get the idea, I have changed mine to a pink M for Menopauseprincess. A Favicon may help readers remember you to bookmark and return to your site.

Once you learn how to make a Favicon you'll be hooked, and you'll want to make one for every blog you own. Complete your blog look--add a Favicon!

I make a practice of visiting Bluejar.com pretty regularly just to keep my eye on a few technical things. The author Sarah, is fantastic and does a very good job of explaining things to people who are on the level of "blackboards and hand puppets" like me. Her site is not dumbed down, but she takes the time to answer questions from readers who are less advanced technically. If she doesn't know the answer for your particular situation she'll find out and get back to you.

In September Sarah did an article called "How to Create Your Own Favicon", and after reading it I asked if you could do this on Blogger (as opposed to having your own site). Sarah didn't know but said she'd find out and let me know. Well, the results of Sarah's investigation is this article: "Adding a Favicon on Blogger" and I highly recommend it. Sarah made making my Favicon a relatively painless process, and I think lots of people can do it as well. Believe me, if I can do it, anyone can.

So what are you waiting for? Go read Sarah's articles on creating Favicons and create one.

It's what the "best dressed" blogs are wearing!