Saturday, December 15, 2007

Bah Humbug! Save Me From Holiday Movies!


When I was a child I could rely on the usual Christmas programs every year; How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Rudolph the Red-Nose Reindeer were the good ones, The King Family, (I never knew who these people were or why anyone cared) Andy Williams, Perry Como, these were the ones I had to watch because my parents wanted to watch; It's A Wonderful Life, Miracle on 34th Street, these were the ones that had a little something for everybody.

Over the years I haven't spent a lot of time holiday show watching; for many years I had more important things to do like agonize over whatever funky relationship I was or wasn't in, other years I was just too busy with other stuff. I noticed something from time to time but just haven't acknowledged it or given it my full attention until now and that's: holiday programming is LAME!

Now, I know these opinions might get me labeled ScroogePrincess, but I'm willing to take that risk. Bah! Humbug! Save me from holiday movies! Every pop singer doesn't need to be in some syrupy made-for-tv movie that clearly exists to capitalize on the holiday season. Success in some other part of the entertainment industry doesn't always translate.

Just because you can orchestrate a duet of Beyonce' and Wayne Newton singing "Walking In A Winter Wonderland" on a sound stage with a big sled sitting in the back round doesn't mean you should. Just because you can put Christina Millian in a schmaltzy Christmas movie about her being trapped in a snow globe (I didn't make this one up) doesn't mean you shou- what's that you say? You don't know who Christina Millian is? Well hell, that's part of the point too. Who is this crap made for? Because I guarantee that the demographic that does know who she is ain't sitting home watching that crap either!