Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Blogging: The Ability To Connect With People



In early September I wrote a post entitled: "More Alike Than Unalike" which, on the surface, was about a reality show but was really about the similarities amongst people looking for love.

The notion of "more alike than unalike" is something that I have been observing more as my journey through the blogosphere and the process of blogging continues. It is also this notion that I believe my friend Bobby Revell from Revellian.com had in mind when he began his Blogging For Friendship Project. Bobby is one of the first friends I made when I began learning to blog, he is always willing to help and places a high value on friendship; indeed he freely admits he blogs for people as opposed to money. Bobby's friends, the team of NAFASG©™ , created the incredible badge shown here to illustrate the message.

Maya Angelou wrote in her poem, "Human Family"

...We love and lose in China,
we weep on England's moors,
and laugh and moan in Guinea,
and thrive on Spanish shores.


We seek success in Finland,
are born and die in Maine.
In minor ways we differ,
in major we're the same...

Blogging did not exist when Ms. Angelou first wrote this poem yet today, with a couple of pecks on the keyboard, you could be developing a friendship with someone in China, Guinea, or Spain.

I don't think I'll be going to Malaysia in this lifetime, but my friends Nick, Nessa and Conan-cat have painted vivid pictures of life there.

  • Nick has barbeques with friends, boredom at work, cuddle time with his wife.
  • Nessa has amazingly funny children and loves to shop.
  • Conan_cat is concerned about school and has a lot of wisdom locked in his young mind.
Not so different from lots of people I know right here in the States.

  • Gypsy is in Australia, and has mentioned the big spiders they have there, her love for her beautiful young daughters, and the colorful times she had back when she was single.
And then there are my friends in the States, who I may not necessarily know which state they're in but are my buddies just the same.
  • Anonymous Boxer-has a wonderful little dog that sometimes shows up in her posts wearing boxing trunks and gloves. She also really does box, but has an unfortunate Starbucks addiction.
  • Maria-has a great little daughter who's an old soul inhabiting a child's body, and some of the most colorful relatives you'll ever want to meet.
  • Frank-sometimes shocking and inappropriate, but so tender and sweet when talking about his wife and children you'll forget he's shocking and inappropriate.
  • Josie-always a kind word for everyone, but racy and spicy and sometimes soul-searingly honest.
These are just a few of my friends. Others that I haven't written of because I'd really have a post way too long, but please know I appreciate and value you all. The real point of the matter is that these people exist not only in the blogosphere but also in the real world. If anything were to happen to them, I'd be undeniably impacted. This is the funny and amazing thing about blogging, the ability to connect with people you might not have before.