Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Exercise For Those Over 35

While reading Nick's post on old age, aches, and those strange noises that appear when you get older, I just had to snicker.

I have to tell you that sometimes when I bend down to pick something up I wonder who is providing the sound effects, that "oof" or sound of bones cracking, the groan when I rise from a squatting position, the amount of time it takes to completely straighten up from a seated position.

Keeping flexible is becoming more of a priority as time goes by so when a dear friend sent the following information in an email I was very interested:

Just came across this exercise suggested for the over 35's to build muscle strength in the arms and shoulders. It seems so easy so I thought that I'd pass it on to some of my friends and family. The article suggested doing it three days a week.


1. Begin by standing on a comfortable surface, where you have plenty of room at each side. With a 2lb potato bag in each hand, extend your arms straight out from your sides and hold them there as long as you can. Try to reach a full minute, then relax.

2. Each day, you'll find that you can hold this position for just a bit longer. After a couple of weeks, move up to 5lb potato bag. Then 25lb potato bag and then eventually try to get to where you can lift a 50lb potato bag in each hand and hold your arms straight for more than a full minute
(I'm at this level).

3. After you feel confident at that level, put a potato in each of the bags.


I'm starting next week. No need to be too hasty.