Tuesday, August 21, 2007

I Heart The Internet

My dear friend doesn't care for the internet much, she sees it as a device to divide people and uses it minimally. While I love my friend dearly and wouldn't trade her for anything, I also love the Internet.

I just finished watching a video made by a college student in Malaysia, called "Senior Citizens in Malaysia", go on over to http://conancat.com and take a look, or watch it on You Tube. It's a documentary about ladies who wake up at 5:00 a.m. to go line dancing in the park.

These women are having a blast and exercising so they can live life to the fullest, and their "children won't have to worry about them". They follow this up with going home to change and then hang out with their friends. By the end of this film I couldn't stop smiling, and being close to an age that some circles consider a senior citizen, I felt hopeful. If I wasn't on the Internet I'd have missed this gem.

If you knew me personally you'd know that I'm a bit of a talker. I think exchanging ideas, jokes and stories is some of the best entertainment around, my TV addiction notwithstanding.
If that exchange is on the Internet as opposed to in person that's okay. I believe it can unify rather than divide. I may even get up at 5:00 a.m. to go dancing--in my living room.