Monday, August 6, 2007

Not the Target Audience.

The other day a friend and I had occasion to visit the local mall. After a bit of window shopping we took a seat and engaged in some "people watching".

My gaze swept the area and landed on a girl of about 11 years old and an older woman, most likely her mother, making their way through the crowd. The girl sported something unidentifiable on the top of her head; my friend informed me that this thing was a teddy bear. I looked closer and determined that the thing was indeed, a teddy bear. The bear was of the medium-sized brown variety and appeared to be hanging on to the girl's head for dear life.

I seemed to have missed the memo that announced it was stylish to wear stuffed animals on your head, I am not the target audience for this trend I believe. I have determined from careful ad scrutiny and commercial watching that I am the target audience for: life insurance, ads that appeal to poeple who want to get their funereal affairs in order,and people who no longer have their music from the 70's and 80's and need to buy compilations from Time Life Music.

It makes me grumpy sometimes to be the direct demographic these companies are directing their advertising to. Think I'll go stick a teddy bear on my head.