Friday, August 3, 2007

I'm not that girl anymore...

Hello, I'm so glad you're here! Are you wondering what the title of this blog means?
The title of this blog means that one day I woke up, and I wasn't that girl anymore!

One day, I woke up and:

  • I was 49 (Lord! How did that happen?),
  • I had gray hairs not only on my head, but in places you REALLY don't want gray hair,
  • I made noises when raising from a squatting position and lifting things with even the slightest bit of weight to them,
  • I had my own personal heating system,
  • I was addressed by the title, "ma'am" and referred to as "that lady" (terms I remember using myself as a child),
  • I couldn't walk in heels (I thought that talent was akin to riding a bicycle, but no...),
  • I developed an interest in watching "Dr. Phil",
  • Everyone was suddenly younger as opposed to older,
  • I was invisible. Actually I wasn't really invisible but people seemed to develop an ability to look past or through me.

The invisibility was what told me I was not THAT girl anymore. Now, I don't mean that girl in a Marlo Thomas sort of way but rather, that girl that is noticed, listened to, seen, appreciated for her ability to breath. I wasn't that girl who was young!

If you visit with me awhile, you'll be treated to my ramblings about things I think, see, remember, overhear (you hear a lot when you're invisible) and notice. It won't always be time to play the violins, but it will always be from the vantage point of a woman who's -not that girl anymore!